• Lar Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tutelary deity; a deceased ancestor regarded as a protector of the family. The domestic Lares were the tutelar deities of a house; household gods. Hence, Eng.: Hearth or dwelling house.
- (n.) A species of gibbon (Hylobates lar), found in Burmah. Called also white-handed gibbon.
• Larchen Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the larch.
• Lark Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To catch larks; as, to go larking.
- (n.) Any one numerous species of singing birds of the genus Alauda and allied genera (family Alaudidae). They mostly belong to Europe, Asia, and Northern Africa. In America they are represented by the shore larks, or horned by the shore larks, or horned larks, of the genus Otocoris. The true larks have holaspidean tarsi, very long hind claws, and usually, dull, sandy brown colors.
- (v. i.) A frolic; a jolly time.
- (v. i.) To sport; to frolic.