• Middlings Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) A combination of the coarser parts of ground wheat the finest bran, separated from the fine flour and coarse bran in bolting; -- formerly regarded as valuable only for feed; but now, after separation of the bran, used for making the best quality of flour. Middlings contain a large proportion of gluten.
- (n. pl.) In the southern and western parts of the United States, the portion of the hog between the ham and the shoulder; bacon; -- called also middles.
• Middling Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of middle rank, state, size, or quality; about equally distant from the extremes; medium; moderate; mediocre; ordinary.