• Pause Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A break or paragraph in writing.
- (n.) To stop in order to consider; hence, to consider; to reflect.
- (n.) In writing and printing, a mark indicating the place and nature of an arrest of voice in reading; a punctuation point; as, teach the pupil to mind the pauses.
- (v. t.) To cause to stop or rest; -- used reflexively.
- (n.) A temporary stop or rest; an intermission of action; interruption; suspension; cessation.
- (n.) To make a short stop; to cease for a time; to intermit speaking or acting; to stop; to wait; to rest.
- (n.) To be intermitted; to cease; as, the music pauses.
- (n.) To hesitate; to hold back; to delay.
- (n.) In speaking or reading aloud, a brief arrest or suspension of voice, to indicate the limits and relations of sentences and their parts.
- (n.) A hold. See 4th Hold, 7.
- (n.) Temporary inaction or waiting; hesitation; suspence; doubt.
• Paused Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pause