• Penny Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Denarius.
- (a.) Denoting pound weight for one thousand; -- used in combination, with respect to nails; as, tenpenny nails, nails of which one thousand weight ten pounds.
- (n.) An English coin, formerly of copper, now of bronze, the twelfth part of an English shilling in account value, and equal to four farthings, or about two cents; -- usually indicated by the abbreviation d. (the initial of denarius).
- (a.) Worth or costing one penny.
- (n.) Any small sum or coin; a groat; a stiver.
- (n.) Money, in general; as, to turn an honest penny.
• Pennyroyal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An aromatic herb (Mentha Pulegium) of Europe; also, a North American plant (Hedeoma pulegioides) resembling it in flavor.