• Profession Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) The act of professing or claiming; open declaration; public avowal or acknowledgment; as, professions of friendship; a profession of faith.
- (v.) That of which one professed knowledge; the occupation, if not mechanical, agricultural, or the like, to which one devotes ones self; the business which one professes to understand, and to follow for subsistence; calling; vocation; employment; as, the profession of arms; the profession of a clergyman, lawyer, or physician; the profession of lecturer on chemistry.
- (v.) The act of entering, or becoming a member of, a religious order.
- (v.) That which one professed; a declaration; an avowal; a claim; as, his professions are insincere.
- (v.) The collective body of persons engaged in a calling; as, the profession distrust him.
• Professional Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a profession, or calling; conforming to the rules or standards of a profession; following a profession; as, professional knowledge; professional conduct.
- (a.) Engaged in by professionals; as, a professional race; -- opposed to amateur.
- (n.) A person who prosecutes anything professionally, or for a livelihood, and not in the character of an amateur; a professional worker.