• Science Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Knowledge; knowledge of principles and causes; ascertained truth of facts.
- (n.) Art, skill, or expertness, regarded as the result of knowledge of laws and principles.
- (v. t.) To cause to become versed in science; to make skilled; to instruct.
- (n.) Any branch or department of systematized knowledge considered as a distinct field of investigation or object of study; as, the science of astronomy, of chemistry, or of mind.
- (n.) Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been systematized and formulated with reference to the discovery of general truths or the operation of general laws; knowledge classified and made available in work, life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or philosophical knowledge.
- (n.) Especially, such knowledge when it relates to the physical world and its phenomena, the nature, constitution, and forces of matter, the qualities and functions of living tissues, etc.; -- called also natural science, and physical science.