• Snuff Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To crop the snuff of, as a candle; to take off the end of the snuff of.
- (n.) Pulverized tobacco, etc., prepared to be taken into the nose; also, the amount taken at once.
- (v. t.) The part of a candle wick charred by the flame, whether burning or not.
- (v. i.) To turn up the nose and inhale air, as an expression of contempt; hence, to take offense.
- (v. i.) To draw in, or to inhale, forcibly through the nose; to sniff.
- (v. i.) To inhale air through the nose with violence or with noise, as do dogs and horses.
- (n.) The act of snuffing; perception by snuffing; a sniff.
- (n.) Resentment, displeasure, or contempt, expressed by a snuffing of the nose.
- (v. i.) To perceive by the nose; to scent; to smell.
• Snuffbox Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small box for carrying snuff about the person.
• Snuffing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Snuff