• Stewed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stew
• Stew Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small pond or pool where fish are kept for the table; a vivarium.
- (v. t.) A place of stewing or seething; a place where hot bathes are furnished; a hothouse.
- (v. t.) A prostitute.
- (v. t.) To boil slowly, or with the simmering or moderate heat; to seethe; to cook in a little liquid, over a gentle fire, without boiling; as, to stew meat; to stew oysters; to stew apples.
- (v. t.) A state of agitating excitement; a state of worry; confusion; as, to be in a stew.
- (v. i.) To be seethed or cooked in a slow, gentle manner, or in heat and moisture.
- (n.) An artificial bed of oysters.
- (v. t.) A dish prepared by stewing; as, a stewof pigeons.
- (v. t.) A brothel; -- usually in the plural.