• Stone Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The hard endocarp of drupes; as, the stone of a cherry or peach. See Illust. of Endocarp.
- (n.) One of the testes; a testicle.
- (n.) Concreted earthy or mineral matter; also, any particular mass of such matter; as, a house built of stone; the boy threw a stone; pebbles are rounded stones.
- (n.) To pelt, beat, or kill with stones.
- (n.) A weight which legally is fourteen pounds, but in practice varies with the article weighed.
- (n.) A stand or table with a smooth, flat top of stone, commonly marble, on which to arrange the pages of a book, newspaper, etc., before printing; -- called also imposing stone.
- (n.) A calculous concretion, especially one in the kidneys or bladder; the disease arising from a calculus.
- (n.) To wall or face with stones; to line or fortify with stones; as, to stone a well; to stone a cellar.
- (n.) To free from stones; also, to remove the seeds of; as, to stone a field; to stone cherries; to stone raisins.
- (n.) A precious stone; a gem.
- (n.) To rub, scour, or sharpen with a stone.
- (n.) A monument to the dead; a gravestone.
- (n.) Something made of stone. Specifically: -
- (n.) To make like stone; to harden.
- (n.) Fig.: Symbol of hardness and insensibility; torpidness; insensibility; as, a heart of stone.
- (n.) The glass of a mirror; a mirror.
• Stonebrash Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A subsoil made up of small stones or finely-broken rock; brash.
• Stonecray Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A distemper in hawks.