Accented Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AccentedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Accent
• AccentDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A superior force of voice or of articulative effort upon some particular syllable of a word or a phrase, distinguishing it from the others.
- (n.) A mark or character used in writing, and serving to regulate the pronunciation; esp.: (a) a mark to indicate the nature and place of the spoken accent; (b) a mark to indicate the quality of sound of the vowel marked; as, the French accents.
- (n.) Modulation of the voice in speaking; manner of speaking or pronouncing; peculiar or characteristic modification of the voice; tone; as, a foreign accent; a French or a German accent.
- (n.) A word; a significant tone
- (n.) expressions in general; speech.
- (n.) Stress laid on certain syllables of a verse.
- (n.) A regularly recurring stress upon the tone to mark the beginning, and, more feebly, the third part of the measure.
- (n.) A special emphasis of a tone, even in the weaker part of the measure.
- (n.) The rhythmical accent, which marks phrases and sections of a period.
- (n.) The expressive emphasis and shading of a passage.
- (n.) A mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y, y.
- (n.) A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating minutes of a degree, seconds, etc.; as, 1227, i. e., twelve minutes twenty seven seconds.
- (n.) A mark used to denote feet and inches; as, 6 10 is six feet ten inches.
- (v. t.) To express the accent of (either by the voice or by a mark); to utter or to mark with accent.
- (v. t.) To mark emphatically; to emphasize.