Allowance Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AllowanceDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A customary deduction from the gross weight of goods, different in different countries, such as tare and tret.
- (n.) To put upon a fixed allowance (esp. of provisions and drink); to supply in a fixed and limited quantity; as, the captain was obliged to allowance his crew; our provisions were allowanced.
- (n.) Abatement; deduction; the taking into account of mitigating circumstances; as, to make allowance for the inexperience of youth.
- (n.) The act of allowing, granting, conceding, or admitting; authorization; permission; sanction; tolerance.
- (n.) License; indulgence.
- (n.) Approval; approbation.
- (n.) Acknowledgment.
- (n.) That which is allowed; a share or portion allotted or granted; a sum granted as a reimbursement, a bounty, or as appropriate for any purpose; a stated quantity, as of food or drink; hence, a limited quantity of meat and drink, when provisions fall short.