Bit Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BitDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v.) A part of anything, such as may be bitten off or taken into the mouth; a morsel; a bite. Hence: A small piece of anything; a little; a mite.
- () of Bite
- (imp.) of Bite
- (v.) The part of a key which enters the lock and acts upon the bolt and tumblers.
- (v.) In the Southern and Southwestern States, a small silver coin (as the real) formerly current; commonly, one worth about 12 1/2 cents; also, the sum of 12 1/2 cents.
- (v.) The part of a bridle, usually of iron, which is inserted in the mouth of a horse, and having appendages to which the reins are fastened.
- (v.) Fig.: Anything which curbs or restrains.
- () imp. & p. p. of Bite.
- (v.) The cutting iron of a plane.
- () 3d sing. pr. of Bid, for biddeth.
- (v. t.) To put a bridle upon; to put the bit in the mouth of.
- (v.) A tool for boring, of various forms and sizes, usually turned by means of a brace or bitstock. See Bitstock.
- (v.) Somewhat; something, but not very great.
- (n.) In the British West Indies, a fourpenny piece, or groat.
• BiternateDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Doubly ternate, as when a petiole has three ternate leaflets.
• BitterweedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A species of Ambrosia (A. artemisiaefolia); Roman worm wood.