Blackbird Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BlackbirdDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) In England, a species of thrush (Turdus merula), a singing bird with a fin note; the merle. In America the name is given to several birds, as the Quiscalus versicolor, or crow blackbird; the Agelaeus phoeniceus, or red-winged blackbird; the cowbird; the rusty grackle, etc. See Redwing.
- (n.) A native of any of the islands near Queensland; -- called also Kanaka.
- (n.) Among slavers and pirates, a negro or Polynesian.
• BlackbirderDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A slave ship; a slaver.
• BlackbirdingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The kidnaping of negroes or Polynesians to be sold as slaves.
- (n.) The act or practice of collecting natives of the islands near Queensland for service on the Queensland sugar plantations.