Blast Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BlastDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To rend open by any explosive agent, as gunpowder, dynamite, etc.; to shatter; as, to blast rocks.
- (n.) A flatulent disease of sheep.
- (n.) A violent gust of wind.
- (n.) The exhaust steam from and engine, driving a column of air out of a boiler chimney, and thus creating an intense draught through the fire; also, any draught produced by the blast.
- (v. t.) To injure, as by a noxious wind; to cause to wither; to stop or check the growth of, and prevent from fruit-bearing, by some pernicious influence; to blight; to shrivel.
- (n.) A sudden, pernicious effect, as if by a noxious wind, especially on animals and plants; a blight.
- (v. i.) To blow; to blow on a trumpet.
- (v. t.) Hence, to affect with some sudden violence, plague, calamity, or blighting influence, which destroys or causes to fail; to visit with a curse; to curse; to ruin; as, to blast pride, hopes, or character.
- (v. t.) To confound by a loud blast or din.
- (n.) A forcible stream of air from an orifice, as from a bellows, the mouth, etc. Hence: The continuous blowing to which one charge of ore or metal is subjected in a furnace; as, to melt so many tons of iron at a blast.
- (n.) The sound made by blowing a wind instrument; strictly, the sound produces at one breath.
- (n.) The act of rending, or attempting to rend, heavy masses of rock, earth, etc., by the explosion of gunpowder, dynamite, etc.; also, the charge used for this purpose.
- (v. i.) To be blighted or withered; as, the bud blasted in the blossom.
• BlastoporeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The pore or opening leading into the cavity of invagination, or archenteron.