Captain Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CaptainDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To act as captain of; to lead.
- (n.) By courtesy, an officer actually commanding a vessel, although not having the rank of captain.
- (n.) A person having authority over others acting in concert; as, the captain of a boats crew; the captain of a football team.
- (n.) The foreman of a body of workmen.
- (n.) A military leader; a warrior.
- (n.) A head, or chief officer
- (n.) The master or commanding officer of a merchant vessel.
- (n.) One in charge of a portion of a ships company; as, a captain of a top, captain of a gun, etc.
- (n.) An officer in the United States navy, next above a commander and below a commodore, and ranking with a colonel in the army.
- (n.) The military officer who commands a company, troop, or battery, or who has the rank entitling him to do so though he may be employed on other service.
- (a.) Chief; superior.
• CaptainryDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Power, or command, over a certain district; chieftainship.