Contract Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ContractDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To be drawn together so as to be diminished in size or extent; to shrink; to be reduced in compass or in duration; as, iron contracts in cooling; a rope contracts when wet.
- (n.) To draw together so as to wrinkle; to knit.
- (n.) To shorten by omitting a letter or letters or by reducing two or more vowels or syllables to one.
- (a.) Contracted; affianced; betrothed.
- (a.) Contracted; as, a contract verb.
- (n.) To draw together or nearer; to reduce to a less compass; to shorten, narrow, or lessen; as, to contract ones sphere of action.
- (v. i.) To make an agreement; to covenant; to agree; to bargain; as, to contract for carrying the mail.
- (n.) To enter into, with mutual obligations; to make a bargain or covenant for.
- (n.) The agreement of two or more persons, upon a sufficient consideration or cause, to do, or to abstain from doing, some act; an agreement in which a party undertakes to do, or not to do, a particular thing; a formal bargain; a compact; an interchange of legal rights.
- (n.) To bring on; to incur; to acquire; as, to contract a habit; to contract a debt; to contract a disease.
- (n.) To betroth; to affiance.
- (n.) The act of formally betrothing a man and woman.
- (n.) A formal writing which contains the agreement of parties, with the terms and conditions, and which serves as a proof of the obligation.
• Contract systemDefinition & Meaning in English
- () The sweating system.
- () The system of employing convicts by selling their labor (to be performed inside the prison) at a fixed price per day to contractors who are allowed to have agents in the prison to superintend the work.
• ContractiblenessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Contractibility.