Doctor Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• DoctorDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To confer a doctorate upon; to make a doctor.
- (v. i.) To practice physic.
- (v. t.) To treat as a physician does; to apply remedies to; to repair; as, to doctor a sick man or a broken cart.
- (n.) A teacher; one skilled in a profession, or branch of knowledge learned man.
- (n.) An academical title, originally meaning a men so well versed in his department as to be qualified to teach it. Hence: One who has taken the highest degree conferred by a university or college, or has received a diploma of the highest degree; as, a doctor of divinity, of law, of medicine, of music, or of philosophy. Such diplomas may confer an honorary title only.
- (n.) Any mechanical contrivance intended to remedy a difficulty or serve some purpose in an exigency; as, the doctor of a calico-printing machine, which is a knife to remove superfluous coloring matter; the doctor, or auxiliary engine, called also donkey engine.
- (v. t.) To tamper with and arrange for ones own purposes; to falsify; to adulterate; as, to doctor election returns; to doctor whisky.
- (n.) The friar skate.
- (n.) One duly licensed to practice medicine; a member of the medical profession; a physician.
• DoctoralDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Of or relating to a doctor, or to the degree of doctor.