Engaged Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• EngagedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Greatly interested; of awakened zeal; earnest.
- (a.) Occupied; employed; busy.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Engage
- (a.) Involved; esp., involved in a hostile encounter; as, the engaged ships continued the fight.
- (a.) Pledged; promised; especially, having the affections pledged; promised in marriage; affianced; betrothed.
• EngageDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To come into gear with; as, the teeth of one cogwheel engage those of another, or one part of a clutch engages the other part.
- (v. t.) To gain for service; to bring in as associate or aid; to enlist; as, to engage friends to aid in a cause; to engage men for service.
- (v. t.) To enter into contest with; to encounter; to bring to conflict.
- (v. i.) To promise or pledge ones self; to enter into an obligation; to become bound; to warrant.
- (v. t.) To put under pledge; to pledge; to place under obligations to do or forbear doing something, as by a pledge, oath, or promise; to bind by contract or promise.
- (v. i.) To embark in a business; to take a part; to employ or involve ones self; to devote attention and effort; to enlist; as, to engage in controversy.
- (v. t.) To employ the attention and efforts of; to occupy; to engross; to draw on.
- (v. i.) To be in gear, as two cogwheels working together.
- (v. t.) To gain over; to win and attach; to attract and hold; to draw.
- (v. i.) To enter into conflict; to join battle; as, the armies engaged in a general battle.
• EngagedlyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) With attachment; with interest; earnestly.
• EngagednessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The state of being deeply interested; earnestness; zeal.