Honor Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HonorDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) That to which esteem or consideration is paid; distinguished position; high rank.
- (n.) A token of esteem paid to worth; a mark of respect; a ceremonial sign of consideration; as, he wore an honor on his breast; military honors; civil honors.
- (n.) To dignify; to raise to distinction or notice; to bestow honor upon; to elevate in rank or station; to ennoble; to exalt; to glorify; hence, to do something to honor; to treat in a complimentary manner or with civility.
- (n.) A cause of respect and fame; a glory; an excellency; an ornament; as, he is an honor to his nation.
- (n.) To regard or treat with honor, esteem, or respect; to revere; to treat with deference and submission; when used of the Supreme Being, to reverence; to adore; to worship.
- (n.) A title applied to the holders of certain honorable civil offices, or to persons of rank; as, His Honor the Mayor. See Note under Honorable.
- (n.) A seigniory or lordship held of the king, on which other lordships and manors depended.
- (n.) That which rightfully attracts esteem, respect, or consideration; self-respect; dignity; courage; fidelity; especially, excellence of character; high moral worth; virtue; nobleness; specif., in men, integrity; uprightness; trustworthness; in women, purity; chastity.
- (n.) Esteem due or paid to worth; high estimation; respect; consideration; reverence; veneration; manifestation of respect or reverence.
- (n.) Academic or university prizes or distinctions; as, honors in classics.
- (n.) A nice sense of what is right, just, and true, with course of life correspondent thereto; strict conformity to the duty imposed by conscience, position, or privilege.
- (n.) The ace, king, queen, and jack of trumps. The ten and nine are sometimes called Dutch honors.
- (n.) To accept and pay when due; as, to honora bill of exchange.
- (n.) Fame; reputation; credit.
• HonoringDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Honor
• HonorablenessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The state of being honorable; eminence; distinction.
- (n.) Conformity to the principles of honor, probity, or moral rectitude; fairness; uprightness; reputableness.