Lime Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• LimeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cement.
- (n.) Oxide of calcium; the white or gray, caustic substance, usually called quicklime, obtained by calcining limestone or shells, the heat driving off carbon dioxide and leaving lime. It develops great heat when treated with water, forming slacked lime, and is an essential ingredient of cement, plastering, mortar, etc.
- (v. t.) To entangle; to insnare.
- (v. t.) To smear with a viscous substance, as birdlime.
- (n.) A thong by which a dog is led; a leash.
- (n.) A fruit allied to the lemon, but much smaller; also, the tree which bears it. There are two kinds; Citrus Medica, var. acida which is intensely sour, and the sweet lime (C. Medica, var. Limetta) which is only slightly sour.
- (n.) The linden tree. See Linden.
- (n.) Birdlime.
- (v. t.) To treat with lime, or oxide or hydrate of calcium; to manure with lime; as, to lime hides for removing the hair; to lime sails in order to whiten them.
• Lime-twiggedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Beset with snares; insnared, as with birdlime.
• LimerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A limehound; a limmer.