Mat Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MatDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A name given by coppersmiths to an alloy of copper, tin, iron, etc., usually called white metal.
- (n.) A fabric of sedge, rushes, flags, husks, straw, hemp, or similar material, used for wiping and cleaning shoes at the door, for covering the floor of a hall or room, and for other purposes.
- (n.) Anything growing thickly, or closely interwoven, so as to resemble a mat in form or texture; as, a mat of weeds; a mat of hair.
- (v. t.) To twist, twine, or felt together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle.
- (v. t.) To cover or lay with mats.
- (a.) Cast down; dejected; overthrown; slain.
- (v. i.) To grow thick together; to become interwoven or felted together like a mat.
- (n.) Any similar fabric for various uses, as for covering plant houses, putting beneath dishes or lamps on a table, securing rigging from friction, and the like.
- (n.) An ornamental border made of paper, pasterboard, metal, etc., put under the glass which covers a framed picture; as, the mat of a daguerreotype.
• Match-coatDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A coat made of match-cloth.
• MatachinDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) An old dance with swords and bucklers; a sword dance.