Meet Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MeetDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To join, or come in contact with; esp., to come in contact with by approach from an opposite direction; to come upon or against, front to front, as distinguished from contact by following and overtaking.
- (v. t.) To perceive; to come to a knowledge of; to have personal acquaintance with; to experience; to suffer; as, the eye met a horrid sight; he met his fate.
- (v. t.) To come in collision with; to confront in conflict; to encounter hostilely; as, they met the enemy and defeated them; the ship met opposing winds and currents.
- (v. t.) To come together by mutual concessions; hence, to agree; to harmonize; to unite.
- (adv.) Meetly.
- (a.) Suitable; fit; proper; appropriate; qualified; convenient.
- (v. t.) To come together by mutual approach; esp., to come in contact, or into proximity, by approach from opposite directions; to join; to come face to face; to come in close relationship; as, we met in the street; two lines meet so as to form an angle.
- (v. t.) To come into the presence of without contact; to come close to; to intercept; to come within the perception, influence, or recognition of; as, to meet a train at a junction; to meet carriages or persons in the street; to meet friends at a party; sweet sounds met the ear.
- (v. t.) To come together with hostile purpose; to have an encounter or conflict.
- (n.) An assembling together; esp., the assembling of huntsmen for the hunt; also, the persons who so assemble, and the place of meeting.
- (v. t.) To assemble together; to congregate; as, Congress meets on the first Monday of December.
- (v. t.) To come up to; to be even with; to equal; to match; to satisfy; to ansver; as, to meet ones expectations; the supply meets the demand.
• MeetlyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) Fitly; suitably; properly.