Pounce Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PounceDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To strike or seize with the talons; to pierce, as with the talons.
- (v. t.) A punch or stamp.
- (n.) Charcoal dust, or some other colored powder for making patterns through perforated designs, -- used by embroiderers, lace makers, etc.
- (v. t.) Cloth worked in eyelet holes.
- (v. t.) The claw or talon of a bird of prey.
- (v. t.) To sprinkle or rub with pounce; as, to pounce paper, or a pattern.
- (v. t.) To punch; to perforate; to stamp holes in, or dots on, by way of ornament.
- (n.) A fine powder, as of sandarac, or cuttlefish bone, -- formerly used to prevent ink from spreading on manuscript.
- (v. i.) To fall suddenly and seize with the claws; -- with on or upon; as, a hawk pounces upon a chicken. Also used figuratively.
• PouncedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Ornamented with perforations or dots.
- (a.) Furnished with claws or talons; as, the pounced young of the eagle.