Puff Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PuffDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) To breathe in a swelling, inflated, or pompous manner; hence, to assume importance.
- (n.) A puffball.
- (v. t.) To praise with exaggeration; to flatter; to call public attention to by praises; to praise unduly.
- (v. t.) To cause to swell or dilate; to inflate; to ruffle with puffs; -- often with up; as, a bladder puffed with air.
- (n.) To blow in puffs, or with short and sudden whiffs.
- (n.) To blow, as an expression of scorn; -- with at.
- (n.) A sudden and single emission of breath from the mouth; hence, any sudden or short blast of wind; a slight gust; a whiff.
- (n.) Anything light and filled with air.
- (n.) A utensil of the toilet for dusting the skin or hair with powder.
- (n.) An exaggerated or empty expression of praise, especially one in a public journal.
- (n.) a kind of light pastry.
- (v. t.) To repel with words; to blow at contemptuously.
- (n.) To swell with air; to be dilated or inflated.
- (n.) To breathe quick and hard, or with puffs, as after violent exertion.
- (v. t.) To drive with a puff, or with puffs.
- (v. t.) To inflate with pride, flattery, self-esteem, or the like; -- often with up.
- (a.) Puffed up; vain.
• PufferDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The common, or harbor, porpoise.
- (n.) A kier.
- (n.) One who puffs; one who praises with noisy or extravagant commendation.
- (n.) Any plectognath fish which inflates its body, as the species of Tetrodon and Diodon; -- called also blower, puff-fish, swellfish, and globefish.
- (n.) One who is employed by the owner or seller of goods sold at suction to bid up the price; a by-bidder.