Reach Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ReachDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Extent; stretch; expanse; hence, application; influence; result; scope.
- (v. t.) To extend; to stretch; to thrust out; to put forth, as a limb, a member, something held, or the like.
- (v. t.) Hence, to extend an action, effort, or influence to; to penetrate to; to pierce, or cut, as far as.
- (n.) The pole or rod which connects the hind axle with the forward bolster of a wagon.
- (v. i.) To strain after something; to make efforts.
- (v. t.) To arrive at; to come to; to get as far as.
- (v. t.) To attain or obtain by stretching forth the hand; to extend some part of the body, or something held by one, so as to touch, strike, grasp, or the like; as, to reach an object with the hand, or with a spear.
- (v. t.) To arrive at by effort of any kind; to attain to; to gain; to be advanced to.
- (v. i.) To retch.
- (n.) An effort to vomit.
- (v. i.) To stretch out the hand.
- (n.) The power of stretching out or extending action, influence, or the like; power of attainment or management; extent of force or capacity.
- (n.) An extended portion of land or water; a stretch; a straight portion of a stream or river, as from one turn to another; a level stretch, as between locks in a canal; an arm of the sea extending up into the land.
- (v. t.) To understand; to comprehend.
- (v. t.) To overreach; to deceive.
- (n.) The act of stretching or extending; extension; power of reaching or touching with the person, or a limb, or something held or thrown; as, the fruit is beyond my reach; to be within reach of cannon shot.
- (v. i.) To extend in dimension, time, amount, action, influence, etc., so as to touch, attain to, or be equal to, something.
- (v. t.) Hence, to deliver by stretching out a member, especially the hand; to give with the hand; to pass to another; to hand over; as, to reach one a book.
- (v. t.) To strike, hit, or touch with a missile; as, to reach an object with an arrow, a bullet, or a shell.
- (v. i.) To sail on the wind, as from one point of tacking to another, or with the wind nearly abeam.
- (n.) An artifice to obtain an advantage.
- (v. t.) To extend to; to stretch out as far as; to touch by virtue of extent; as, his land reaches the river.
• ReachlessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Being beyond reach; lofty.