Severing Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SeveringDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sever
• SeverDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To keep distinct or apart; to except; to exempt.
- (v. t.) To cut or break open or apart; to divide into parts; to cut through; to disjoin; as, to sever the arm or leg.
- (v. t.) To disunite; to disconnect; to terminate; as, to sever an estate in joint tenancy.
- (v. i.) To suffer disjunction; to be parted, or rent asunder; to be separated; to part; to separate.
- (v. t.) To separate, as one from another; to cut off from something; to divide; to part in any way, especially by violence, as by cutting, rending, etc.; as, to sever the head from the body.
- (v. i.) To make a separation or distinction; to distinguish.
• SevereDefinition & Meaning in English
- (superl.) Very strict in judgment, discipline, or government; harsh; not mild or indulgent; rigorous; as, severe criticism; severe punishment.
- (superl.) Rigidly methodical, or adherent to rule or principle; exactly conformed to a standard; not allowing or employing unneccessary ornament, amplification, etc.; strict; -- said of style, argument, etc.
- (superl.) Sharp; afflictive; distressing; violent; extreme; as, severe pain, anguish, fortune; severe cold.
- (superl.) Difficult to be endured; exact; critical; rigorous; as, a severe test.
- (superl.) Serious in feeeling or manner; sedate; grave; austere; not light, lively, or cheerful.