Smothered Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SmotheredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Smother
• SmotherDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) That which smothers or causes a sensation of smothering, as smoke, fog, the foam of the sea, a confused multitude of things.
- (v. t.) Stifling smoke; thick dust.
- (v. i.) To be suffocated or stifled.
- (v. t.) A state of suppression.
- (v. i.) To burn slowly, without sufficient air; to smolder.
- (v. t.) To affect as by suffocation; to stife; to deprive of air by a thick covering, as of ashes, of smoke, or the like; as, to smother a fire.
- (v. t.) To destroy the life of by suffocation; to deprive of the air necessary for life; to cover up closely so as to prevent breathing; to suffocate; as, to smother a child.
- (v. t.) Hence, to repress the action of; to cover from public view; to suppress; to conceal; as, to smother ones displeasure.
• Smothered mateDefinition & Meaning in English
- () Checkmate given when movement of the king is completely obstructed by his own men.