State Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StateDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Stately.
- (n.) The bodies that constitute the legislature of a country; as, the States-general of Holland.
- (n.) The principal persons in a government.
- (n.) Rank; condition; quality; as, the state of honor.
- (n.) Highest and stationary condition, as that of maturity between growth and decline, or as that of crisis between the increase and the abating of a disease; height; acme.
- (n.) A form of government which is not monarchial, as a republic.
- (n.) A chair with a canopy above it, often standing on a dais; a seat of dignity; also, the canopy itself.
- (a.) Belonging to the state, or body politic; public.
- (v. t.) To set; to settle; to establish.
- (n.) Estate, possession.
- (v. t.) To express the particulars of; to set down in detail or in gross; to represent fully in words; to narrate; to recite; as, to state the facts of a case, ones opinion, etc.
- (n.) A political body, or body politic; the whole body of people who are united one government, whatever may be the form of the government; a nation.
- (n.) Appearance of grandeur or dignity; pomp.
- (n.) The circumstances or condition of a being or thing at any given time.
- (n.) A person of high rank.
- (n.) In the United States, one of the commonwealth, or bodies politic, the people of which make up the body of the nation, and which, under the national constitution, stands in certain specified relations with the national government, and are invested, as commonwealth, with full power in their several spheres over all matters not expressly inhibited.
- (n.) Any body of men united by profession, or constituting a community of a particular character; as, the civil and ecclesiastical states, or the lords spiritual and temporal and the commons, in Great Britain. Cf. Estate, n., 6.
- (n.) Condition of prosperity or grandeur; wealthy or prosperous circumstances; social importance.
- (n.) A statement; also, a document containing a statement.
• StatelilyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In a stately manner.