Tap Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TapDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A plug or spile for stopping a hole pierced in a cask, or the like; a faucet.
- (n.) A place where liquor is drawn for drinking; a taproom; a bar.
- (n.) A gentle or slight blow; a light rap; a pat.
- (v. t.) To form an internal screw in (anything) by means of a tool called a tap; as, to tap a nut.
- (v. t.) To pierce so as to let out, or draw off, a fluid; as, to tap a cask, a tree, a tumor, etc.
- (v. t.) To strike with a slight or gentle blow; to touch gently; to rap lightly; to pat; as, to tap one with the hand or a cane.
- (v. t.) Hence, to draw from (anything) in any analogous way; as, to tap telegraph wires for the purpose of intercepting information; to tap the treasury.
- (n.) A signal, by drum or trumpet, for extinguishing all lights in soldiers quarters and retiring to bed, -- usually given about a quarter of an hour after tattoo.
- (v. t.) To draw, or cause to flow, by piercing.
- (n.) A tool for forming an internal screw, as in a nut, consisting of a hardened steel male screw grooved longitudinally so as to have cutting edges.
- (n.) A piece of leather fastened upon the bottom of a boot or shoe in repairing or renewing the sole or heel.
- (v. t.) To put a new sole or heel on; as, to tap shoes.
- (n.) A hole or pipe through which liquor is drawn.
- (n.) Liquor drawn through a tap; hence, a certain kind or quality of liquor; as, a liquor of the same tap.
- (v. i.) To strike a gentle blow.
• TapeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To furnish with tape; to fasten, tie, bind, or the like, with tape;
- (v. t.) to cover (a wire) with insulating tape.
- (v. t.) to record on audio tape or video tape; -- either directly, at the scene of the action tape, or indirectly, as from a broadcast of the action.
- (n.) A narrow fillet or band of cotton or linen; a narrow woven fabric used for strings and the like; as, curtains tied with tape.
- (n.) A tapeline; also, a metallic ribbon so marked as to serve as a tapeline; as, a steel tape.
• TapaDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A kind of cloth prepared by the Polynesians from the inner bark of the paper mulberry; -- sometimes called also kapa.