Underwrite Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• UnderwriteDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To write under something else; to subscribe.
- (v. i.) To practice the business of insuring; to take a risk of insurance on a vessel or the like.
- (v. t.) To subscribe ones name to for insurance, especially for marine insurance; to write ones name under, or set ones name to, as a policy of insurance, for the purpose of becoming answerable for loss or damage, on consideration of receiving a certain premium per cent; as, individuals, as well as companies, may underwrite policies of insurance.
• UnderwriterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who underwrites his name to the conditions of an insurance policy, especially of a marine policy; an insurer.