• Tongued Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Tongue
- (a.) Having a tongue.
• Tongue Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A projection, or slender appendage or fixture; as, the tongue of a buckle, or of a balance.
- (v. i.) To use the tongue in forming the notes, as in playing the flute and some other wind instruments.
- (n.) Any small sole.
- (n.) That which is considered as resembing an animals tongue, in position or form.
- (n.) The lingua of an insect.
- (v. t.) To chide; to scold.
- (n.) A point, or long, narrow strip of land, projecting from the mainland into a sea or a lake.
- (n.) Honorable discourse; eulogy.
- (n.) The lingual ribbon, or odontophore, of a mollusk.
- (n.) A projection on the side, as of a board, which fits into a groove.
- (v. t.) To modulate or modify with the tongue, as notes, in playing the flute and some other wind instruments.
- (n.) The power of articulate utterance; speech.
- (n.) Discourse; fluency of speech or expression.
- (n.) an organ situated in the floor of the mouth of most vertebrates and connected with the hyoid arch.
- (n.) A people having a distinct language.
- (n.) The pole of a vehicle; especially, the pole of an ox cart, to the end of which the oxen are yoked.
- (n.) A short piece of rope spliced into the upper part of standing backstays, etc.; also. the upper main piece of a mast composed of several pieces.
- (v. t.) To join means of a tongue and grove; as, to tongue boards together.
- (n.) Speech; words or declarations only; -- opposed to thoughts or actions.
- (n.) The clapper of a bell.
- (v. t.) To speak; to utter.
- (n.) A language; the whole sum of words used by a particular nation; as, the English tongue.
- (n.) The proboscis of a moth or a butterfly.
- (n.) Same as Reed, n., 5.
- (v. i.) To talk; to prate.