• Transit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of passing; passage through or over.
- (n.) An instrument resembling a theodolite, used by surveyors and engineers; -- called also transit compass, and surveyors transit.
- (n.) The passage of a smaller body across the disk of a larger, as of Venus across the suns disk, or of a satellite or its shadow across the disk of its primary.
- (n.) The passage of a heavenly body over the meridian of a place, or through the field of a telescope.
- (v. t.) To pass over the disk of (a heavenly body).
- (n.) A line or route of passage or conveyance; as, the Nicaragua transit.
- (n.) The act or process of causing to pass; conveyance; as, the transit of goods through a country.
• Transitive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Effected by transference of signification.
- (a.) Passing over to an object; expressing an action which is not limited to the agent or subject, but which requires an object to complete the sense; as, a transitive verb, for example, he holds the book.
- (a.) Having the power of making a transit, or passage.
• Transitorily Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a transitory manner; with brief continuance.