Taliban attacks on Afghan forces cause 'heavy casualties': officials [Tribune] 12 Jul, 2018

Taliban attacks on Afghan forces cause heavy casualties. PHOTO: AFP. KUNDUZ:Taliban attacks on Afghan security forces in the country’s north have caused “heavy casualties”, officials said Thursday, putting the number of soldiers killed as high as 40 in fighting that is ongoing.Militants using night-vision goggles launched simultaneous raids on several Afghan military bases and posts in Dashte Archi district in Kunduz province overnight, defence ministry spokesperson Mohammad Radmanish and other Afghan security sources told AFP.“We have suffered casualties, the Taliban have also suffered casualties,” Radmanish said.Between 10 and 15 Afghan soldiers had been killed so far, and about the same number wounded, he added.Afghan government under pressure as Taliban threaten new districtBut an Afghan security source told AFP that the death toll among security forces was “more than 40”, and another confirmed that 39 had been killed and 10 wounded.A separate security source said there had been “heavy casualties” among the soldiers.An air and ground operation against the Taliban was under way, Radmanish said.The night-vision goggles helped the Taliban fighters execute their pre-dawn attack, a senior Afghan commander told AFP.He said the attacks were carried out by the group’s elite Red Unit.“Since we don’t have the night vision [goggles], the Taliban can get close to soldiers without them noticing,” he said.Mohammad Hanif Rezayee, a spokesperson for the 209 Shaheen Army Corps in the north, said two military posts had fallen to the Taliban, but security forces had managed to beat back an attack on a base.In a separate incident, Afghan forces launched airstrikes on a gathering of high-ranking Taliban members in the southeastern province of Ghazni, killing 24 and wounding 17, the defence ministry said in a statement Thursday.11 killed in attack on Afghan education officeMullah Amir Khan Mutaqi, who was a Taliban minister during its 1996-2001 regime, was among the injured, the defence ministry said.A recent ceasefire between Afghan security forces and the Taliban during Eid had raised hopes that an end to hostilities in the war-weary country was possible.Since then, however, the Taliban has returned to the battlefield, launching deadly attacks against the Afghan military across the country.The latest attacks come as President Ashraf Ghani attends a NATO summit in Brussels where he will be hoping to get a greater commitment from members to the nearly 17-year conflict.Currently, there are about 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan, providing the main component of the NATO mission there to support and train local forces.

More News

100 years since his birth, South Africa pays tribute to Mandela

18 Jul, 2018 Tribune

South African cricket team captain Faf du Plessis poses with school children and teammates at a ceremony to mark the 100th birth anniversary of South ... Detail

Elon Musk apologises to British caver for 'pedo' slur

18 Jul, 2018 Tribune

Musk's "pedo" tweet caused Tesla's shares to fall Monday, although they have since recovered the losses.PHOTO:REUTERS WASHINGTON D ... Detail

Global gas flaring declines by 5% reveals World Bank report

18 Jul, 2018 DailyTimes

KARACHI:  A significant decline in gas flaring in oil production sites around the world  has been recorded in a report by the World Bank which was rel ... Detail

Trump backpedals, now says Moscow meddled in US election

18 Jul, 2018 SuchTV

Addressing reporters at the White House on Tuesday, Trump claimed that he had misspoken during a joint press conference with Putin in the Finnish capi ... Detail

UN moves to revive Cyprus talks

18 Jul, 2018 Tribune

The UN-brokered negotiations in Switzerland had been billed as the best hope in decades to resolve the Cyprus issue, one of the world's longest f ... Detail

Post Your Comments
Type your Comments / Review in the space below.
Name:
Email:
City:
Verify Code