• Accident Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Literally, a befalling; an event that takes place without ones foresight or expectation; an undesigned, sudden, and unexpected event; chance; contingency; often, an undesigned and unforeseen occurrence of an afflictive or unfortunate character; a casualty; a mishap; as, to die by an accident.
- (n.) A property attached to a word, but not essential to it, as gender, number, case.
- (n.) A point or mark which may be retained or omitted in a coat of arms.
- (n.) A property or quality of a thing which is not essential to it, as whiteness in paper; an attribute.
- (n.) A quality or attribute in distinction from the substance, as sweetness, softness.
- (n.) Any accidental property, fact, or relation; an accidental or nonessential; as, beauty is an accident.
- (n.) Unusual appearance or effect.
• Accidentality Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being accidental; accidentalness.
• Accidental Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Happening by chance, or unexpectedly; taking place not according to the usual course of things; casual; fortuitous; as, an accidental visit.
- (a.) Nonessential; not necessary belonging; incidental; as, are accidental to a play.
- (n.) A property which is not essential; a nonessential; anything happening accidentally.
- (n.) Those fortuitous effects produced by luminous rays falling on certain objects so that some parts stand forth in abnormal brightness and other parts are cast into a deep shadow.
- (n.) A sharp, flat, or natural, occurring not at the commencement of a piece of music as the signature, but before a particular note.