• Advance Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
- (v. t.) To raise; to elevate.
- (v. t.) To raise to a higher rank; to promote.
- (v. t.) To make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
- (v. t.) To furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand; as, a merchant advances money on a contract or on goods consigned to him.
- (v. t.) To raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate; as, to advance the price of goods.
- (v. i.) To increase or make progress in any respect; as, to advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
- (v.) The act of advancing or moving forward or upward; progress.
- (v.) An addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an advance on the prime cost of goods.
- (v.) A furnishing of something before an equivalent is received (as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
- (v. t.) To accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance ones interests.
- (v. t.) To extol; to laud.
- (v. i.) To move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to greet me.
- (v. i.) To rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred or promoted.
- (v.) Improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally, or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or religion; an advance in rank or office.
- (v.) The first step towards the attainment of a result; approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to adjust a difference, etc.; an overture; a tender; an offer; -- usually in the plural.
- (a.) Before in place, or beforehand in time; -- used for advanced; as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due; advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming volume, received in advance of the time of publication.
- (v. t.) To bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show; as, to advance an argument.
• Advancer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A second branch of a bucks antler.
- (n.) One who advances; a promoter.
• Advancement Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Settlement on a wife, or jointure.
- (v. t.) The act of advancing, or the state of being advanced; progression; improvement; furtherance; promotion to a higher place or dignity; as, the advancement of learning.
- (v. t.) An advance of money or value; payment in advance. See Advance, 5.
- (v. t.) Property given, usually by a parent to a child, in advance of a future distribution.