• Amber Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Amber color, or anything amber-colored; a clear light yellow; as, the amber of the sky.
- (n.) Ambergris.
- (v. t.) To preserve in amber; as, an ambered fly.
- (n.) The balsam, liquidambar.
- (a.) Consisting of amber; made of amber.
- (a.) Resembling amber, especially in color; amber-colored.
- (v. t.) To scent or flavor with ambergris; as, ambered wine.
- (n.) A yellowish translucent resin resembling copal, found as a fossil in alluvial soils, with beds of lignite, or on the seashore in many places. It takes a fine polish, and is used for pipe mouthpieces, beads, etc., and as a basis for a fine varnish. By friction, it becomes strongly electric.
• Amber fish Definition & Synonyms
- () A fish of the southern Atlantic coast (Seriola Carolinensis.)
• Ambergris Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A substance of the consistence of wax, found floating in the Indian Ocean and other parts of the tropics, and also as a morbid secretion in the intestines of the sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus), which is believed to be in all cases its true origin. In color it is white, ash-gray, yellow, or black, and often variegated like marble. The floating masses are sometimes from sixty to two hundred and twenty-five pounds in weight. It is wholly volatilized as a white vapor at 212í Fahrenheit, and is highly valued in perfumery.