• Bluing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something to give a bluish tint, as indigo, or preparations used by washerwomen.
- (n.) The act of rendering blue; as, the bluing of steel.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Blue
• Blue Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A pedantic woman; a bluestocking.
- (superl.) Low in spirits; melancholy; as, to feel blue.
- (pl.) Low spirits; a fit of despondency; melancholy.
- (v. t.) To make blue; to dye of a blue color; to make blue by heating, as metals, etc.
- (n.) One of the seven colors into which the rays of light divide themselves, when refracted through a glass prism; the color of the clear sky, or a color resembling that, whether lighter or darker; a pigment having such color. Sometimes, poetically, the sky.
- (superl.) Suited to produce low spirits; gloomy in prospect; as, thongs looked blue.
- (superl.) Severe or over strict in morals; gloom; as, blue and sour religionists; suiting one who is over strict in morals; inculcating an impracticable, severe, or gloomy mortality; as, blue laws.
- (superl.) Having the color of the clear sky, or a hue resembling it, whether lighter or darker; as, the deep, blue sea; as blue as a sapphire; blue violets.
- (superl.) Pale, without redness or glare, -- said of a flame; hence, of the color of burning brimstone, betokening the presence of ghosts or devils; as, the candle burns blue; the air was blue with oaths.
- (superl.) Literary; -- applied to women; -- an abbreviation of bluestocking.