• Branching Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Branch
- (n.) The act or state of separation into branches; division into branches; a division or branch.
- (a.) Furnished with branches; shooting our branches; extending in a branch or branches.
• Branch Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To divide as into branches; to make subordinate division in.
- (v. i.) To shoot or spread in branches; to separate into branches; to ramify.
- (v. t.) To adorn with needlework representing branches, flowers, or twigs.
- (a.) Diverging from, or tributary to, a main stock, line, way, theme, etc.; as, a branch vein; a branch road or line; a branch topic; a branch store.
- (n.) Any member or part of a body or system; a distinct article; a section or subdivision; a department.
- (n.) A line of family descent, in distinction from some other line or lines from the same stock; any descendant in such a line; as, the English branch of a family.
- (n.) A shoot or secondary stem growing from the main stem, or from a principal limb or bough of a tree or other plant.
- (n.) One of the portions of a curve that extends outwards to an indefinitely great distance; as, the branches of an hyperbola.
- (v. i.) To divide into separate parts or subdivision.
- (n.) Any division extending like a branch; any arm or part connected with the main body of thing; ramification; as, the branch of an antler; the branch of a chandelier; a branch of a river; a branch of a railway.
- (n.) A warrant or commission given to a pilot, authorizing him to pilot vessels in certain waters.