• Bruise Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To fight with the fists; to box.
- (v. t.) To injure, as by a blow or collision, without laceration; to contuse; as, to bruise ones finger with a hammer; to bruise the bark of a tree with a stone; to bruise an apple by letting it fall.
- (v. t.) To break; as in a mortar; to bray, as minerals, roots, etc.; to crush.
- (n.) An injury to the flesh of animals, or to plants, fruit, etc., with a blunt or heavy instrument, or by collision with some other body; a contusion; as, a bruise on the head; bruises on fruit.
• Bruiser Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A boxer; a pugilist.
- (n.) A concave tool used in grinding lenses or the speculums of telescopes.
- (n.) One who, or that which, bruises.
• Bruisewort Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plant supposed to heal bruises, as the true daisy, the soapwort, and the comfrey.