• Butter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An oily, unctuous substance obtained from cream or milk by churning.
- (n.) Any substance resembling butter in degree of consistence, or other qualities, especially, in old chemistry, the chlorides, as butter of antimony, sesquichloride of antimony; also, certain concrete fat oils remaining nearly solid at ordinary temperatures, as butter of cacao, vegetable butter, shea butter.
- (v. t.) To increase, as stakes, at every throw or every game.
- (v. t.) To cover or spread with butter.
- (n.) One who, or that which, butts.
• Butterine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A substance prepared from animal fat with some other ingredients intermixed, as an imitation of butter.
• Buttery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An apartment in a house where butter, milk and other provisions are kept.
- (a.) Having the qualities, consistence, or appearance, of butter.
- (n.) A cellar in which butts of wine are kept.
- (n.) A room in some English colleges where liquors, fruit, and refreshments are kept for sale to the students.