• Caisson Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A chest to hold ammunition.
- (n.) A water-tight box, of timber or iron within which work is carried on in building foundations or structures below the water level.
- (n.) A structure, usually with an air chamber, placed beneath a vessel to lift or float it.
- (n.) A chest filled with explosive materials, to be laid in the way of an enemy and exploded on his approach.
- (n.) A four-wheeled carriage for conveying ammunition, consisting of two parts, a body and a limber. In light field batteries there is one caisson to each piece, having two ammunition boxes on the body, and one on the limber.
- (n.) A sunk panel of ceilings or soffits.
- (n.) A hollow floating box, usually of iron, which serves to close the entrances of docks and basins.
• Caisson disease Definition & Synonyms
- () A disease frequently induced by remaining for some time in an atmosphere of high pressure, as in caissons, diving bells, etc. It is characterized by neuralgic pains and paralytic symptoms. It is variously explained, most probably as due to congestion of internal organs with subsequent stasis of the blood.