• Chained Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. p. p.) of Chain
• Chain Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To fasten, bind, or connect with a chain; to fasten or bind securely, as with a chain; as, to chain a bulldog.
- (n.) A series of things linked together; or a series of things connected and following each other in succession; as, a chain of mountains; a chain of events or ideas.
- (n.) Iron links bolted to the side of a vessel to bold the dead-eyes connected with the shrouds; also, the channels.
- (v. t.) To unite closely and strongly.
- (v. t.) To keep in slavery; to enslave.
- (n.) An instrument which consists of links and is used in measuring land.
- (v. t.) To protect by drawing a chain across, as a harbor.
- (v. t.) To measure with the chain.
- (n.) That which confines, fetters, or secures, as a chain; a bond; as, the chains of habit.
- (n.) A series of links or rings, usually of metal, connected, or fitted into one another, used for various purposes, as of support, of restraint, of ornament, of the exertion and transmission of mechanical power, etc.
- (n.) The warp threads of a web.