• Continent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) That which contains anything; a receptacle.
- (a.) One of the grand divisions of land on the globe; the main land; specifically (Phys. Geog.), a large body of land differing from an island, not merely in its size, but in its structure, which is that of a large basin bordered by mountain chains; as, the continent of North America.
- (a.) Abstaining from sexual intercourse; exercising restraint upon the sexual appetite; esp., abstaining from illicit sexual intercourse; chaste.
- (a.) Serving to restrain or limit; restraining; opposing.
- (a.) Not interrupted; connected; continuous; as, a continent fever.
- (a.) Exercising restraint as to the indulgence of desires or passions; temperate; moderate.
• Continental Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the confederated colonies collectively, in the time of the Revolutionary War; as, Continental money.
- (n.) A soldier in the Continental army, or a piece of the Continental currency. See Continental, a., 3.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a continent.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the main land of Europe, in distinction from the adjacent islands, especially England; as, a continental tour; a continental coalition.