• Cornet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A brass instrument, with cupped mouthpiece, and furnished with valves or pistons, now used in bands, and, in place of the trumpet, in orchestras. See Cornet-a-piston.
- (n.) A part of a womans headdress, in the 16th century.
- (n.) The lowest grade of commissioned officer in a British cavalry troop, who carried the standard. The office was abolished in 1871.
- (n.) A cap of paper twisted at the end, used by retailers to inclose small wares.
- (n.) A troop of cavalry; -- so called from its being accompanied by a cornet player.
- (n.) The standard of such a troop.
- (n.) A headdress
- (n.) See Coronet, 2.
- (n.) A square cap anciently worn as a mark of certain professions.
- (n.) A certain organ stop or register.
- (n.) An obsolete rude reed instrument (Ger. Zinken), of the oboe family.
• Cornet-a-piston Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A brass wind instrument, like the trumpet, furnished with valves moved by small pistons or sliding rods; a cornopean; a cornet.