• Counter Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In the wrong way; contrary to the right course; as, a hound that runs counter.
- (v. i.) To return a blow while receiving one, as in boxing.
- (adv.) Contrary; in opposition; in an opposite direction; contrariwise; -- used chiefly with run or go.
- (adv.) A prefix meaning contrary, opposite, in opposition; as, counteract, counterbalance, countercheck. See Counter, adv. & a.
- (adv.) At or against the front or face.
- (v. t.) Money; coin; -- used in contempt.
- (v. t.) A prison; either of two prisons formerly in London.
- (v. t.) A piece of metal, ivory, wood, or bone, used in reckoning, in keeping account of games, etc.
- (adv.) Same as Contra. Formerly used to designate any under part which served for contrast to a principal part, but now used as equivalent to counter tenor.
- (adv.) The after part of a vessels body, from the water line to the stern, -- below and somewhat forward of the stern proper.
- (a.) Contrary; opposite; contrasted; opposed; adverse; antagonistic; as, a counter current; a counter revolution; a counter poison; a counter agent; counter fugue.
- (v. t.) A telltale; a contrivance attached to an engine, printing press, or other machine, for the purpose of counting the revolutions or the pulsations.
- (adv.) The back leather or heel part of a boot.
- (adv.) The breast, or that part of a horse between the shoulders and under the neck.
- (v. t.) A table or board on which money is counted and over which business is transacted; a long, narrow table or bench, on which goods are laid for examination by purchasers, or on which they are weighed or measured.
- (v. t.) One who counts, or reckons up; a calculator; a reckoner.
- (n.) An encounter.
• Counter-salient Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Leaping from each other; -- said of two figures on a coast of arms.
• Counteractive Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, counteracts.
- (a.) Tending to counteract.