• Credit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A ground of, or title to, belief or confidence; authority derived from character or reputation.
- (v. t.) To bring honor or repute upon; to do credit to; to raise the estimation of.
- (v. t.) To enter upon the credit side of an account; to give credit for; as, to credit the amount paid; to set to the credit of; as, to credit a man with the interest paid on a bond.
- (n.) That which tends to procure, or add to, reputation or esteem; an honor.
- (n.) Trust given or received; expectation of future playment for property transferred, or of fulfillment or promises given; mercantile reputation entitling one to be trusted; -- applied to individuals, corporations, communities, or nations; as, to buy goods on credit.
- (n.) The side of an account on which are entered all items reckoned as values received from the party or the category named at the head of the account; also, any one, or the sum, of these items; -- the opposite of debit; as, this sum is carried to ones credit, and that to his debit; A has several credits on the books of B.
- (n.) Influence derived from the good opinion, confidence, or favor of others; interest.
- (n.) Reliance on the truth of something said or done; belief; faith; trust; confidence.
- (n.) The time given for payment for lands or goods sold on trust; as, a long credit or a short credit.
- (n.) Reputation derived from the confidence of others; esteem; honor; good name; estimation.
- (v. t.) To confide in the truth of; to give credence to; to put trust in; to believe.
• Crediting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Credit
• Credit mobilier Definition & Synonyms
- () A joint stock company, formed for general banking business, or for the construction of public works, by means of loans on personal estate, after the manner of the credit foncier on real estate. In practice, however, this distinction has not been strictly observed.