• Elevator Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mechanical contrivance, usually an endless belt or chain with a series of scoops or buckets, for transferring grain to an upper loft for storage.
- (n.) An instrument for raising a depressed portion of a bone.
- (n.) A building for elevating, storing, and discharging, grain.
- (n.) One who, or that which, raises or lifts up anything
- (n.) A muscle which serves to raise a part of the body, as the leg or the eye.
- (n.) A cage or platform and the hoisting machinery in a hotel, warehouse, mine, etc., for conveying persons, goods, etc., to or from different floors or levels; -- called in England a lift; the cage or platform itself.
- (n.) A movable plane or group of planes used to control the altitude or fore-and-aft poise or inclination of an airship or flying machine.
• Elevatory Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Elevator, n. (e).
- (a.) Tending to raise, or having power to elevate; as, elevatory forces.