• Expiring Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Breathing out air from the lungs; emitting fluid or volatile matter; exhaling; breathing the last breath; dying; ending; terminating.
- (p. pr & vb. n.) of Expire
- (a.) Pertaining to, or uttered at, the time of dying; as, expiring words; expiring groans.
• Expire Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To emit the last breath; to breathe out the life; to die; as, to expire calmly; to expire in agony.
- (v. i.) To emit the breath.
- (v. i.) To come to an end; to cease; to terminate; to perish; to become extinct; as, the flame expired; his lease expires to-day; the month expired on Saturday.
- (v. t.) To give forth insensibly or gently, as a fluid or vapor; to emit in minute particles; to exhale; as, the earth expires a damp vapor; plants expire odors.
- (v. i.) To burst forth; to fly out with a blast.
- (v. t.) To breathe out; to emit from the lungs; to throw out from the mouth or nostrils in the process of respiration; -- opposed to inspire.
- (v. t.) To bring to a close; to terminate.
- (v. t.) To emit; to give out.