• Fermentation Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The process of undergoing an effervescent change, as by the action of yeast; in a wider sense (Physiol. Chem.), the transformation of an organic substance into new compounds by the action of a ferment, either formed or unorganized. It differs in kind according to the nature of the ferment which causes it.
- (n.) A state of agitation or excitement, as of the intellect or the feelings.
• Fermentation theory Definition & Synonyms
- () The theory which likens the course of certain diseases (esp. infectious diseases) to the process of fermentation, and attributes them to the organized ferments in the body. It does not differ materially from the accepted germ theory (which see).