• Firing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The application of fire, or of a cautery.
- (n.) The process of partly vitrifying pottery by exposing it to intense heat in a kiln.
- (n.) The act of disharging firearms.
- (n.) The mode of introducing fuel into the furnace and working it.
- (n.) Fuel; firewood or coal.
• Fir Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Fir tree
- (n.) A genus (Abies) of coniferous trees, often of large size and elegant shape, some of them valued for their timber and others for their resin. The species are distinguished as the balsam fir, the silver fir, the red fir, etc. The Scotch fir is a Pinus.
• Fire Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cause to explode; as, to fire a torpedo; to disharge; as, to fire a musket or cannon; to fire cannon balls, rockets, etc.
- (n.) Anything which destroys or affects like fire.
- (v. t.) To light up as if by fire; to illuminate.
- (n.) Liveliness of imagination or fancy; intellectual and moral enthusiasm; capacity for ardor and zeal.
- (v. t.) To subject to intense heat; to bake; to burn in a kiln; as, to fire pottery.
- (n.) Splendor; brilliancy; luster; hence, a star.
- (n.) The evolution of light and heat in the combustion of bodies; combustion; state of ignition.
- (v. t.) To animate; to give life or spirit to; as, to fire the genius of a young man.
- (n.) Fuel in a state of combustion, as on a hearth, or in a stove or a furnace.
- (v. t.) To drive by fire.
- (v. i.) To take fire; to be kindled; to kindle.
- (n.) The discharge of firearms; firing; as, the troops were exposed to a heavy fire.
- (n.) Torture by burning; severe trial or affliction.
- (v. t.) To inflame; to irritate, as the passions; as, to fire the soul with anger, pride, or revenge.
- (v. t.) To set on fire; to kindle; as, to fire a house or chimney; to fire a pile.
- (v. i.) To be irritated or inflamed with passion.
- (n.) Ardor of passion, whether love or hate; excessive warmth; consuming violence of temper.
- (n.) The burning of a house or town; a conflagration.
- (v. t.) To feed or serve the fire of; as, to fire a boiler.
- (v. i.) To discharge artillery or firearms; as, they fired on the town.
- (v. t.) To cauterize.
• Firing pin Definition & Synonyms
- () In the breech mechanism of a firearm, the pin which strikes the head of the cartridge and explodes it.